thegaminggrounds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roleplaying vs Rollplaying

3 posters

Go down

Roleplaying vs Rollplaying Empty Roleplaying vs Rollplaying

Post by Trothael Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:28 pm

So, I'd like to see some people's perspectives on Roleplaying vs Rollplayan.

For those of you not in the know, these terms when used in this context refer to people who prefer the actual roleplaying aspect of P&P RPGs as opposed to those who play P&P RPGs in order to win, via minmaxing and talents that will always give them an extra edge when it comes to rolling the dice, hence the name 'Roll'players.
In extreme cases, Roleplayers will roll as few dice as possible and focus on remaining in-character and enjoying the fictional aspects of their game, whereas Rollplayers will focus as little on these things as possible and will adjust their stats as much as possible to give them an edge, whereas a Roleplayer would have their stats reflect their characters strengths and weaknesses. Rollplayers will metagame if they can get away with it and will make sure that they always have the best stats they possibly can in order to fulfill their desire to be the best.

Most people find themselves in a balance between these two factions, trying to focus on roleplaying whilst having the best character they possibly can, accepting a few weaknesses and will try to stick as closely to how they perceive their character as possible.

With this explanation in mind, where do you think you fit into the spectrum of Roleplayers to Rollplayers. Do you focus more on your character or do you focus on being the best? And what are your opinions on this?
Trothael
Trothael

http://www.alltern8.com/members/#/blog.asp?Profile=27696

Back to top Go down

Roleplaying vs Rollplaying Empty Re: Roleplaying vs Rollplaying

Post by Tioma Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:47 pm

I prefer roleplaying, mainly because I love thinking about every intricate detail of my character. Games that are just about rolling dice whilst someone tells you a story would be pretty boring in my opinion. I can see why people may prefer the dice-rolling aspect though, it can be pretty embarassing to roleplay a character when one is not really in an acting mood.

Tioma

http://crimsonpaintbox.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by zaz Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:44 am

Depends on my mood. I love L20 hit it sticks when i can't be bothered but m favorite rp moments have all been about character events, where i've acted out the part. You need a good playing group to facilitate this though, and a good DM/GM/ST/whatever to get the mood right.

zaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum